Countertops are an important part of every kitchen and bathroom, they are the first thing that anyone who enters the kitchen or bathroom will see, and if your countertop is aesthetic and beautiful, your visitor will be amazed. That is why you should put more effort while selecting the countertops. Choosing a countertop can be a difficult and huge decision because it will not only impact the beauty of your home but it will also cost a lot of money as well.
So, if you choose the wrong type of countertop, you will be wasting a lot of money, time, and effort. That is why you should learn about countertops, their types, materials, costs, benefits, and disadvantages. This information will help you not only select the best countertop that you need but will also be helping you save a lot of money as well. Read the article below to know more about Marble Countertops.
Marble is one of the best materials for countertops as it has the required strength, smoothness, and beauty. Using marble stones in flooring and countertops is not a new trend, instead, it is one of the oldest trends that are still popular. There are a lot of varieties and options in marble stone for countertops. Each of these varieties has different colors, patterns, and thicknesses. Also, not all of these marble stone varieties are as good as they are considered. There are some varieties of marble stones that are perfect for countertops. But there are also some varieties of marble stones that are not good for the countertops and you should avoid them. There are several reasons for using and avoiding different types of marble stones for countertops in the kitchen and the bathroom.
One of the major reasons that marble is used in countertops is that it is a very beautiful material and it gives an aesthetic look. Apart from this, marble is a very strong material and it can withstand ultimate pressure, and weight without breaking or cracking. Another important reason for the popular use of marble in countertops includes the fact that these materials are water-proof. That means water cannot damage them as they are stones. Also, Marble stones countertops are very smooth. This smoothness helps in the cleaning process. The smooth surface of the marble stone countertops is easier to clean. These are the reasons why “Marble stone is one of the most favorite choices for countertops all over the world.”
Why Choose Marble Countertops?
When it comes to the materials for countertops, you will find a huge variety of options, but none of them is as good as the Marble. Marble is one of the strongest, most reliable, and beautiful choices for countertops. As they are hard and strong, they can last in your kitchen forever. They come in multiple colors, shapes, veining patterns, and types. You can select from a huge variety of options of natural stones. Other options might be a little cheaper than the marble countertops, but they can never compensate for the beautiful look and amazing feel of the natural marble materials. These are a few reasons why you should use Marble in countertops. There are a lot of color choices in marble countertop flooring. You can select from white, black, blue, greenish, brown, gold, and yellow colors for your countertops. You can change the entire look of your kitchen using a unique color choice.
Tips For Selecting Marble Countertops
Here are the tips that will help you select the right type of marble countertop for your kitchen and bathroom.
- Consider light and Cool Color: White is one of the most used cool, and light colors in the marble stone countertops flooring. While and other cool and light colors not only look aesthetically beautiful, but they also have other benefits as well. White, cool, and light colors fit in all types of interior decoration and kitchen cabinets, except the dark and warm tones. There are a lot of cool-toned, light marble stone varieties that you can use for the countertops. White and cool colors do not hide any spots or dust. This helps in the identification and removal of the stains from the countertops. If you want your kitchen to look glowing, aesthetic, bright, and expanded, you should consider using light, and cool colors in the countertops.
- Consider Veining Patterns: Veining patterns are the different mixed grain patterns in the marble stone. Most white color stones have brown, cream color, or blackish veining patterns. Veining pattern is a very important part of the countertop surface and you should consider it with great care. You should take a look at different levels of veining patterns and select an appropriate one. While selecting a veining level and pattern, you should consider the look of the marble countertop in your kitchen. If it matches your kitchen cabinet and interior design settings, it is a perfect fit. But if it is not according to your kitchen interior, then you should look for other options.
- Know About Marble Stone Finishes: In the past, marble stones were only available in rough finishes, but nowadays, with advances in technologies. It is possible to finish the stones in any way you like. There are a lot of final finishing options, such as sizes, extra smoothness, curving of edges, and much more. You should learn about these and then select a finish of marble stone. If you choose without any learning, you may end up spending a lot of money on the wrong type of finished marble stone countertop. But if you choose after complete research, there is a higher likelihood of it being a great success. You do not need to be an expert to know about finishing a marble countertop, knowledge of basics is enough to help you decide what type of finish would work better for your requirements.
- Curving the Edges is Important: Curving the edges of your marble countertop is a small detail but a very important one. It is important for a lot of reasons. One of the major features is that curving looks more beautiful and appealing. Curving edges in kitchen countertops have a lot of benefits. Marble is a hard stone and like all stones it is brittle, and if enough force is applied on a marble floor from a 90-degree angle, it can easily crack and break. By curving the edge of the marble stone countertop, you will be ensuring that your countertop lasts longer.
- Know Your Options in Marble: Knowing the different options in Marble for countertops would make a huge difference in your choice. There are a lot of options in the marbles and you can choose the ones that you like. If you know enough about marble, you will be able to pick the ones that you would love, or the ones that would help you save a lot of money. For that reason, you should learn about the different types of marble and use your knowledge in the selection process.
- Cracks and Fissures: It is also important that you know about the difference between cracks and fissures in marble stones. Marble stones are natural stones, and over the years, these stones get some natural cracks that are filled with impurities. These impurities-filled cracks create veins and some crack-like lines. These are called fissures; they are not bad because they are natural and they are already present in the stone. Meanwhile, cracks are human-induced. Cracks happen when a marble stone is mishandled. A lot of vendors use different fillers to fill up these cracks, and they can be observed easily if you take a closer look. In a marble stone, these cracks are not a good sign. So, whenever you are buying, you should learn about cracks and fissures and select a marble stone for a countertop that has no cracks.
Types of Marble for Countertops
Here are some of the popular choices of marbles for countertops.
- Carrara Marble: Carrara Marble is one of the top choices when it comes to marble countertops. Carrara Marble is a form of Italian marble. It has a pure white color and has blackish veins that spread all over the slab and create beautiful abstract patterns. This Italian marble variant is known for its strength, color, pattern, and beauty. Carrara marble countertops work with all kinds of interiors and kitchen cabinets. They are also a great choice for bathroom countertops as well. It is known as a premium choice when it comes to marble for countertops.
That is why it might cost an extra amount as compared to the other forms of marble countertop materials. Depending on your location, you may have to pay between 70$ to 100$ for a 1 square foot Carrara Marble. Installation costs also differ based on your location and available resources. Even though it is not a cost-efficient form of marble countertop, it is still a very beautiful choice. If you are a fan of white color and want a clean white look on your countertop, you should select this one as your countertop material.
- Calacatta Gold Marble: Stone for this type of Marble is also extracted from mountains in Carrara Italy, but this stone is different from the White Carrara Marble. Calacatta Gold Marble has a golden-white color mixed. It is one of the most famous stones for countertops and is considered a premium material. The color of this marble background is white, but instead of the black vein patterns, it has golden and gray veins. It gives a golden look, and that is why it is known as the Calacatta Gold Marble.
It has been used all over the world for a long time. It is one of the most expensive options in Marble Countertops and can cost more than 180$ per square foot. It is not only beautiful, but also a reliable and strong marble countertop material that would last in your kitchen for millennia, and would still maintain its outlook. As it is a luxury option, it might cost more to maintain and install the Calacatta Gold Marble. Final prices may differ depending on your location.
- Statuario Marble: This fine Italian Marble type also comes from the same region as Carrara in Italy. It has thinner veining and that is what makes this marble so special. The white background of the marble becomes stronger and more obvious as the veining is thin. Not only this, it has golden, gray, and blackish colors in its veining. That creates a unique blend of colors that not only differentiates it from other types of marble but also gives it a unique and aesthetic look.
This is also a premium and luxury material and can cost between 60 to 100$ depending on your location. It is a strong material that means it is also reliable and long-lasting. Apart from that, it hides the scratches better as the thin veins cover the spots better. You may have to spend extra on the installation and maintenance but in the end, it is still worth acquiring this beautiful material for your kitchen countertop.
- Emperador Marble: The Emperador Marble for countertops is a type of Marble originating from the Bursa region in Turkey and some parts of Spain. It has two distinct tones, one is dark, and the other is light/bright. Both of these tones have similar colors but a slightly different level of tone. The Emperador Marble is brown-colored and has a lot of variants in terms of colors, grades and levels.
Both Turkish and Spanish Marbles are a great choice for your countertop if you have a darker interior and dark-toned floor. The Emperador Marble provides the strength, and beauty that you may look for in countertop material. It can cost between 60$ to 100$ per square foot. Installation and maintenance costs are not included in this. This makes it an expensive choice, but still, it is worth your money.
- Crema Marfil Marble: The Crema Marfil Marble is also one of the beautiful choices that you have for countertop materials. It is a fine marble type that is extracted from the Monte Coto mountains in Spain. These are one of the oldest stones that took more than 60 million years to form. The Crema Marfil Marble also possesses all the features that should be present in standard countertop material.
These stones are formed from limestones, and they have the white-brown look in them. They are not completely brown, or completely white. Some of these may also have a slightly pinkish-brown to white color in the background of golden, and black veining patterns that spread all over the stone. The Crema Marfil Marble is an affordable option as it costs less than most of the other materials. It can also cost between 40$ to 100$ depending on your location.
- Levadia Black Marble: The Levadia Black Marble is a perfect choice for you if you are looking for a unique and beautiful marble countertop. As the name suggests, the Levadia Black Marble has black. You can use this with both, warm tones and also with cool tones as well. It is quarried from the mountains in Greece. The Levadia Black Marble has also been used all over the world.
It has a beautiful, smooth black surface, with white, and gray veining patterns that spread all over the slab. It is processed in multiple ways to get the specific look that you want. The average cost of this material for a countertop is 60$ per square foot in most parts. It is not only beautiful but also a strong and durable material that would last forever in your kitchen.
- Giallo Antico Marble: The Giallo Antico Marble is one of the unique options in the countertop category. The Giallo Antico Marble has a beautiful golden-yellow color that makes it unique and also beautiful. Originally, the Giallo Antico Marble is a fine Italian golden marble that is used for countertops. It also has a lot of other purposes as well.
It has a unique color and that is one of the first things that can help you identify these materials. It is also a luxury option for kitchen countertops and can cost a lot of money as the average cost of this material is between 40$ to 80$.
- Connemara Marble: The Connemara Marble that is quarried from Ireland is also one of the best options for countertop. The Connemara Marble has a multi-color appearance, mainly greenish, black, golden, and gray colors. These colors are not in a straight background or veining. They are spread all over the slab. The Connemara Marble has been one of the most renowned exports of Irelands for the past few centuries.
It has a raw beauty that can be shaped and finished in any way. There is a huge trend of this type of countertops these days. It can cost between 40 to 200$ depending upon what type of finish you are looking for. Also, prices may differ depending on your location.
- Danby Marble: The Danby Marble is a domestic marble type in the United States. This type of marble is quarried from the mountains in Vermont. This is one of the finest types of marbles found in the United States that you can use for countertops, flooring, and monuments building. The Danby Marble is also a white premium type of marble that is not only strong but also aesthetically beautiful. It has blackish-grey veining patterns that are spread all over the slab. It can cost between 80$ to 100$.
- Yule Marble: The Yule Marble is one of the most used types of marble for building monuments, countertops, and floorings. It is one of the finest types of marbles in the world, quarried from Colorado. It has been used for the construction of the iconic building of Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It has a pure white background and very fine and thin blackish gray veining patterns. This is one of the best choices for a countertop as it is easier to clean stains from its surface. It is also very strong and durable, which means it can last forever on your kitchen countertop. It can cost between 60 to 100$.
Pros and Cons of Using Marble Countertops
Here are some of the pros and cons of the Marble Countertops.
Pros of Marble Countertops
- Easy to clean: Marble has a very smooth surface and does not absorb liquid. That makes it easy to clean. You will not have to worry about water, oil, and other materials seeping into the marble countertop and you can clean them whenever you have the time. Also, cleaning them is easy. If it is just water or oil or a liquid spill, you can use a dry cloth to wipe it. There are a lot of cleaning products available that work very fast on the marble surface. You can use these to save your time.
- Strong and Reliable: Marble is a natural stone, and like most other stones they are very hard. This hardness protects them from breaking due to pressure or weight. This strength and hardness make your kitchen countertop extremely reliable and it can last a lifetime in your kitchen.
- Long-lasting: The strength and reliability of the marble make it a long-lasting countertop option. As this material does not break or wear off quickly. It can last a lifetime on your kitchen countertop.
- Beautiful look and feel: The Natural look and feel of the marble stone are what attracts the most people. Nothing in the world feels as amazing as the marble stone would. Also, it comes in multiple colors, veining patterns, and looks very beautiful. That is why it is one of the most used materials in the world for countertops.
- Natural Materials: Marble is a natural material and using it for the countertops has less impact on the climate as compared to the other options. Marble stones are carved from the mountains and they are just cut into perfect pieces. They do not require any chemical processes. That is why they have the lowest impact on climate.
- Property Value: If you are looking forward to selling your property, and want to earn extra revenue. You should use the marble countertops as they are liked by everyone and having them installed in your kitchen would increase the value of your property.
- Smooth Surface: The surface of the marble slabs when carved properly becomes very smooth. This not only looks amazing but also helps in the cleaning process as well. This smooth surface is also a reason why many people like having a marble countertop in their kitchens.
Cons of Marble Countertops
Here are some of the cons of marble countertops
- Expensive: All marble stone options for countertops are very beautiful, but they are also very expensive as compared to other types of countertop materials. They are made with natural stone and most of them are imported from outside of the United States. That is why they cost a lot more.
- Delicate and Brittle: Although the marble stone is very hard and strong, still, it is very brittle and can crack if the force is applied at a right angle. This makes these marble stone options a very delicate and brittle choice for countertops. So, before choosing an option keep this in mind.
- Extremely Heavy: Marble stone countertop options are extremely heavy. They are made up of stones that have been through pressure, and heat that has made them extremely dense and thick. That is why they carry more weight. This makes the handling of the marble countertops a difficult task while installing. So, you have to be extra careful about them.
- High maintenance: Cleaning and Maintaining the marble stone countertops is a regular job. You will have to clean them daily and work on them to keep them the way they are. Over time, they might get scratches or cracks in the surface that will require maintenance and repair. This makes the marble countertops even more expensive.
How Marble Countertops are Better Than Granite? Marble Vs. Granite:
Marble Countertops are much better than any other countertop material including granite. Like Marble, Granite is also a stone but it has a granular structure instead of veining patterns in it. Also, Granite mostly comes in darker colors, tones, and patterns. It does not work well with the cool and light tones in the kitchen and bathrooms. Marble provides a more subtle, aesthetic look, while granite provides a darker look and that trend is not as popular in kitchen countertops as marble is. Marble is indeed more porous, brittle, and delicate as compared to granite, but still, it has the iconic look that it is known for and it can last the same as granite. Marble is an elegant choice for your home, while granite is a cheaper alternative.
Cost of Marble Countertops
Here are four of the major types of costs involved in installing marble countertops.
- Material Cost: The first thing that you will have to worry about is the cost of materials. As you know there are different materials in the marble countertops category and you can select any. Some of these cost less and some cost more. This depends on the quality of the material and looks. If you want high-quality materials, you will have to spend a lot more. But if you have a low budget, you will also find some affordable options in the marble countertops category. The cost of materials may vary between 40 to 100$ depending on your location and choice of materials.
- Installation Cost: You cannot install the countertops on your own, this is the job of professionals and you should let them handle it. Marble is a very delicate and brittle material, and if you are trying to install it on your own, there is a chance that you may cause damage to your slab. If that happens, you may end up spending a lot more money than what you would have spent on an expert to help you install this.
- Maintenance Cost: Most people do not consider this while buying, but maintenance costs are very important. You should always keep track of your maintenance cost as it would help you understand how much you have spent on your countertops over the years. Before installation, the only way to know about countertops maintenance is by reading the reviews of users. You can make your decision after learning about this.
The final decision is yours about selecting the marble for countertops or not, but if you are looking for recommendations, it is one of the highly recommended materials that you should use for countertops in the kitchen and bathroom. It has a lot of benefits and only a few cons. Marble provides a huge variety of options when it comes to materials for countertops. These include different types of marbles, colors, veining patterns, and looks. You can select the one that you like the most from these options. Having a variety of options also provides you a chance to select products with different price ranges. There are some options in marble countertops that cost only a fraction of what other marble options cost. So, you can select according to your budget. Choosing a marble countertop for your kitchen and bathroom would not only beautify your interior and increase the value of your property. So, if you are selecting marble, you are making the best choice.