Northern Cardinals are one of the most beautiful birds that a lot of people look forward to attracting to their backyards. You can easily attract a lot of cardinals to your backyards if you have the tricks to attract them. First, you need the right type of food to attract the cardinals to your backyards. The right type of food for cardinals includes seeds, some broken nuts, and suet. You should keep these food items in your bird feeders and the cardinals will visit your backyard.
The second most important thing that you need to know about attracting the cardinals to your backyards is the selection of the right type of bird feeders. If your backyard and your bird feeder have the right type of environment, then you will be able to successfully attract multiple cardinals to your backyard. Below is a list of the top 10 bird feeders for the cardinals that have proven to be very successful in attracting the birds.
WHEN DO CARDINALS COME TO FEEDERS?
Cardinals typically come to feed in the mornings as well as in the evening. As such, it is important to make sure your feeders are filled at these times.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FOOD
Cardinals’ favorites include black oil sunflower seeds and safflower seeds. They also enjoy feeding on cracked corn, peanut pieces, fresh berries, and apple chunks.
Droll Yankees YF-M Yankee Flipper Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder is a perfect bird feeder for attracting small birds such as Northern Cardinals and finches to your backyards. It has a larger storage capacity that means you can put more feed in it. Apart from that, it has technology that protects your feeder from the attacks of large birds and squirrels. Here are some of the pros and cons of this amazing bird feeder.
- As it has large compartments for storage, it can hold multiple types of bird feeds. You can fill it with different types of nuts, and seeds to attract a variety of birds.
- If you put the right type of food in your feeder, you will see that this feeder attracts a huge number of Northern Cardinals to your backyards.
- Droll Yankees YF-M Yankee Flipper Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder is easy to clean, refill and reassemble.
- It is made with waterproof material and does not allow the water to damage the seeds, it has small drain holes that help drainage of the rainwater.
- This bird feeder only has one round perch at which birds can sit and feed on the feeder. But a single perch may be a problem when a large number of birds are visiting your backyards.
- This bird feeder also has no water tray attachment. You will have to arrange the water tray separately.
- It can hold up to 5lbs of bird feed in it. The small openings of this bird feeder only allow sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and broken peanuts to be stored.
This is one of the simplest bird feeders that you will find in the market, and its simplicity is what attracts the cardinals to this bird feeder. The Perky-Pet C00322 Red Cardinal Bird Feeder has been designed in a way to aid the feeding process of the cardinals, apart from that, its appearance also attracts the cardinals. Not only that, this beautiful and simple bird feeder also has protection against the squirrels that are a major problem for a lot of backyards bird feeders. Here are some of the pros and cons of the Perky-Pet C00322 Red Cardinal Bird Feeder.
- Complete metal construction that makes it a strong and durable choice.
- This comes in multiple colors, including red, which is also the color of cardinal birds that is why they feel more attracted to this specific bird feeder.
- It is strong and has a large storage capacity. It can hold up to 2.5 lbs of bird feed in it with ease.
- This bird feeder has built-in drain holes that do not let the water accumulate in the feeder.
- It has a metal plate above, that protects against squirrel invasions.
- The shape of this bird feeder makes it easy for the cardinals and other birds to eat through the net, while squirrels and other animals cannot eat through that narrow net.
- It has a round surface for birds to sit and eat, which means a lot of birds can sit on different sides and eat at the same time.
- The Perky-Pet C00322 Red Cardinal Bird Feeder is easy to clean and refill.
- There is no place to attach a water tray. Built-in holes in the structure prevent any water from staying in the feeder. So, you will have to arrange the water separately from the feeder.
- The weight capacity of this feeder is low as compared to other bird feeders.
The Perky-Pet 8504-2 Wilderness Lantern Wild Bird Feeder is also a great bird feeder to attract the cardinals to your backyards. It is smaller, compact, and square in shape. This one also has beautiful designs on the sides. It has glass windows so that birds can see their feed and perches so that they can easily sit and eat. It is used to attract the cardinals because it is made for storage of the food items that cardinals like such as black oil sunflower seeds. Below are some of the pros and cons of this bird feeder.
- This feeder has a small, compact, square design.
- The Perky-Pet 8504-2 has four different feeding ports which means that four birds can feed on this bird feeder at the same time.
- It can be mounted through a holder from above.
- The Perky-Pet 8504-2 has built-in small holes that let the rainwater move away. This helps in saving the seeds.
- Its structure includes metal, and glass, the frame is built of metal while glass is fitted on all four sides of the feeder.
- It has low storage capacity as you can store up to 2 lbs of the bird feed in it.
- There are only four feeding ports, which means a limited amount of birds can feed at once.
The Perky-Pet 325SCOMBO-1SR 2-Tier Copper Panorama Bird Feeder is made with copper, which is lighter and stronger metal. It provides better stability to the structure and frame of the bird feeder and helps it last longer. It has a round plate above, that protects against the squirrels, and also provides shade to the birds while they are eating. It is built to attract the cardinals mostly and that is why it is filled with cardinal food. Here are some of the pros and cons of the Perky-Pet 325SCOMBO-1SR 2-Tier Copper Panorama Bird Feeder.
- The Perky-Pet 325SCOMBO-1SR 2-Tier bird feeder is made with copper, which is a lighter, but stronger material that provides better stability and durability. So, your bird feeder will last longer.
- There are multiple ports for the birds to sit and feed. It has a double storage capacity.
- It offers protection against squirrels and other small animals.
- Protects seed from the rain by built-in holes that allow the rainwater to move out quickly.
- It can be mounted from the top, which means you can hang it anywhere in your backyard.
- The Perky-Pet 325SCOMBO-1SR 2-Tier bird feeder allows the birds to sit at the perch and eat from all sides as it has a round perch. This makes it possible for multiple birds to feed on the same feeder.
- Storage capacity is limited.
- This feeder has no water tray spots.
Squirrels are a huge problem in most areas for the bird feeders. They attack birds on the feeders and steal all the food that you store in. This discourages the birds from returning to your backyard. If this kind of situation happens in your backyard, you should use squirrel buster bird feeders. The Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel is one of the top-notch, squirrel buster bird feeders in the market. Here are some of the pros and cons of this bird feeder.
- This bird feeder has protection against the squirrel, which makes it one of the best choices if you are facing squirrel problems in your backyards.
- Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel comes with a special ring for the cardinals that helps you attract more cardinals to your backyard.
- It comes pre-built with all the components and you just need to clear space for hanging it, no work or tools are required to put its part together. It has a hook that attaches from the top and you can hang it with ease anywhere in your backyard.
- Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel is easy to open, clean, and refill with bird feed.
- The Brome Squirrel Buster Plus Squirrel is heavier and requires a strong base.
- It discourages large birds as they cannot sit and eat, meaning it would only attract small birds such as cardinals.
The Perky-Pet 334-1SR Squirrel-Be-Gone Max Bird Feeder with Flexports is also a perfect choice if your bird feeder is often attacked by squirrels and larger birds. It has a squirrel-proof technology that prevents and discourages the squirrels from attacking your bird feeder. It works based on weight, as compared to birds, squirrels are heavy and when they reach the bird feeder perch, the feeder tilts and the openings close quickly. This prevents the squirrel from eating your bird feed. The same happens when a large bird tries to sit at the perch and eat, it will tilt due to weight and the bird would not be able to eat. Below are some of the pros and cons of the Perky-Pet 334-1SR Squirrel-Be-Gone Max Bird Feeder with Flexports.
- The Perky-Pet 334-1SR Squirrel-Be-Gone Max Bird Feeder with Flexports has large bird proofing and squirrel proofing.
- It is perfect for attracting small birds such as cardinals and finches, as it can store the feed of these birds.
- This bird feeder has a 3 lbs weight capacity in it. That helps store more food. That means you will not have to worry about refilling it more often.
- It lets the rainwater quickly move out to prevent the loss of seed due to moisture.
- It has a very simple mechanism, You will not have to worry about opening, refilling, and cleaning it. You can easily learn it from the instructions manual. It requires no tool for opening or closing.
- As the entire bird feeder is made up of metal, it is heavier than most bird feeders.
- It has a small plate above it, so it will not provide any shade to the birds sitting there while eating.
The Squirrel Buster Legacy Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Metal Perches with 2.6-pound Seed Capacity is the best choice for attracting cardinals. It is not just a metal wild bird feeder, but also a garden lantern. It charges with the solar light and during the night, it produces glowing light. It has a round perch where birds can sit and eat. It has a hollow design that allows you to see the level of the remaining grains. Here are some pros and cons of the Squirrel Buster Legacy Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Metal Perches, 2.6-pound Seed Capacity.
- It is not just a bird feeder, but also a solar garden lantern that you can hang in your backyards. It will look beautiful at night and will attract birds in the daytime.
- The Squirrel Buster Legacy Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Metal Perches, 2.6-pound Seed Capacity is made with very highly durable materials. This helps them last longer.
- This bird feeder has a long round plate above, that prevents rain from damaging the seeds and provides shade to the birds while they are eating from your feeder.
- It can hold a lot of different nuts and food items for birds that you can store in it. It attracts the cardinals if you put suitable food for cardinals in the bird feeder.
- You will have to place this bird feeder in a way that it is under the sunlight during the day otherwise the garden lantern will not work as the batteries won’t charge in low light.
- It can only hold two pounds of bird feed and has no water tray attached
The Squirrel Buster Classic Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder with 4 Feeding Ports is a bird feeder that is made specifically to attract the cardinals and keep larger birds, and squirrels away from your backyard feeder. It has multiple perches and feeding ports that help more than one bird to sit and feed on your feeder. Here are some pros and cons of this bird feeder.
- The Squirrel Buster Classic Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder with 4 Feeding Ports has four ports for birds to feed with four separate perches. So, multiple birds can feed on this feeder at the same time.
- It has a tubular design with systems to prevent the squirrels and large birds from feeding on your feeder. Glass tube lets you know about the level of remaining seeds in the feeder.
- It is built for smaller birds such as cardinals and it only attracts them. Feeding ports are also made in a way that only small birds can feed on these ports.
- This bird feeder has a patented ventilation system that allows the water and humidity to escape from the feeder without damaging the seeds.
- Apart from cardinals, it also attracts a lot of small birds such as finches, and sparrows.
- This bird feeder requires 18 inches of ground clearance on all sides.
Stokes Select 38069 X Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder, 2 Suet Cake Capacity, Brow, Pack of 1, Black/Brown
Birds like cardinals not only eat seeds, but they also like other food items such as suet. Putting these items in your backyard feeders will also help you attract the cardinals. The Stokes Select 38069 X Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder offers the best solution for this. It has the capacity of 2 suet cakes. It comes in an all-metal frame that has brown and black colors in it. It has a metal plate above that protects the cake from rainwater. Small birds like finches and cardinals can easily feed on these cakes while larger birds and squirrels will not be able to eat anything from this. It has a metal cage that only birds of small size can enter and feed. Here are some of the pros and cons of the Stokes Select 38069 X Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder.
- The all-metal body and cage of this bird feeder are highly durable and protects it from damages due to weather and squirrels.
- It has a very strong chain attachment that has a lot of strength and it can support the weight of the bird feeder, feed, and birds at the same time.
- It is easy to open, refill, and clean. You can do it without using any tools.
- Suet is a favorite food for a lot of small birds, and that is why this feeder will attract a lot of small birds such as cardinals and finches.
- The glass window in the metal helps you know about the feed level. So that you can refill it before it ends.
- This bird feeder has no perches and only a cage. Birds have to enter the cage to feed on the suet.
- You cannot put any other type of food items in it, as it is only built for storing the suet.
The Stokes Select Sedona Screen Bird Feeder is a large bird feeder with four separate feeding ports for small birds. It can hold up to 3 lbs of bird seeds in it. It is a perfect choice for attracting small birds as its feeding ports only allow smaller birds such as cardinals to feed. This bird feeder has protection against squirrels, and rain. It has drain holes that do not let the water damage the seeds. This bird feeder also has a metal net construction design that is very strong and durable. You can put any type of small sees in it as you want. Make sure to hang it in an open area so that birds can see its color and flock towards it.
- The Stokes Select Sedona Screen Bird Feeder has a metal construction, with a metal plate above to protect from rain, and four different feeding ports on different locations to help multiple birds eat at the same time. The metal construction of this bird feeder is very strong and durable, and it can last long in any type of outdoor condition.
- It has a ventilation system that helps in preventing any damage to the seeds due to humidity. It also has built-in drain holes that help in draining water and prevent seed damage.
- This bird feeder has a very simple construction and you can easily open it, refill, and close it. Apart from this, it is also easy to clean.
- You can check the level of grain from the glass window of this bird feeder. This will let you know when you need to refill the bird feeder.
- This bird feeder has some level of protection against the squirrels but almost no protection against the large birds.
- It does not come with a water tray to hold water for birds, you will have to use a separate water tray with this bird feeder.
- It attracts a lot of other small birds apart from cardinals, such as finches, and sparrows.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION
Question: Where do Cardinals nest?
Question: Are Cardinals migratory birds?
All of these bird feeders are great as they have multiple necessary features that you need. Bird feeders with a large storage capacity are better if you are a lazy person and you cannot refill your bird feeders frequently. But if your bird feeders are being attacked by the large birds and squirrels that you should select the bird feeders that have squirrel proofing. This will help you save your feed for the birds only. All the 10 bird feeders that are listed above can be used for attracting the Northern Cardinals to your backyards.
You should select the one that suits most to your needs. Storage capacity, number of perches, build quality, the material of the bird feeder, are the features that you should check first while buying a bird feeder. The storage capacity of a bird feeder indicates how much of a specific bird feed you can put in that feeder. The number of perches or feeding stations indicates how many birds can eat from your bird feeder at the same time. The build quality of a bird feeder lets you know how bird-friendly your bird feeder is. Knowledge about the material of the bird feeder allows you to guess the durability, lifespan, and other important properties of the bird feeder. You should check all of these and then select the one that fits all your needs. Make sure that you arrange water alongside your feeder so that the visiting birds will not have to anywhere to drink water.