Hardwood flooring is one of the oldest trends in house renovation. Dark hardwood flooring is an exotic and beautiful selection when it comes to choosing a floor type for your house. Dark hardwood floorings are also one of the best ways to renovate your old floors.
Before choosing any of the dark hardwood floors, you should know what options you have, and what are the different things that you should consider when selecting a dark hardwood floor for your place. One of the major things that you should consider when selecting a hardwood floor is the wood species or wood type. This is important because each wood type has a different color, strength, look, durability, and feel.
Every hardwood species has its different features, and you should choose the one, that suits your needs and also suits your preferences.
- 1. Red Oak
- 2. Strand Bamboo
- 3. European Walnut
- 4. Tigerwood
- 5. Brazilian Cherry
- 6. Mahogany
- 7. Brazilian Oak
- 8. American Cherry
- 9. Santos Mahogany
- 10. Brazilian Teak
- 11. Rosewood
- 12. Lyptus
- 13. Hickory
- 14. Brazilian Walnut
- 15. Ashwood
- 16. Birch
- 17. Kempas
- 18. Maple
- 19. Merbau
- 20. Acacia
- How does Dark Hardwood feel under the foot?
- How to Clean Dark Hardwood Floors?
- How to take care of Dark Hardwood Floors?
- Where should you to use the Dark Hardwood Floors?
- What are the pros and cons of Dark Hardwood?
1. Red Oak
The Red Oak hardwood comes from the Quercus rubra plant. This is a premium quality hardwood that is used for flooring. It is also one of the most used hardwood species as well. It can last longer and can sustain heavy loads as well, so you can fit them anywhere in your house.
Below are a few important features of the Red Oak:
- It is stronger than most of the other Oak species of hardwood that are used for flooring. The color of the red oak hardwood is pinkish-brown to dark brown.
- It is rigid and durable and can last longer if properly taken care of. It can resist both the cold and heat of different seasons easily.
- It can resist fire and water. It also has pest resistance and remains intact for years.
- It can be used in any type of environment or room setting. You can also use them in high traffic areas as well.
2. Strand Bamboo
The Strand Bamboo is a special type of flooring that is more economical and good for the environment. There are endless choices when it comes to strand bamboo hardwood flooring. Java Strand Bamboo and Coffee Hand-scraped Strand Bamboo are two of the most commonly used strand bamboo hardwoods.
Below are a few important features of the Strand Bamboo:
- There are different colors available in Strand Bamboo hardwood. They include coffee color (Dark brown) to light brown and reddish-pink.
- The strand bamboo hardwood is made with the help of bamboo strands, and there is almost 0% effect of this on the environment because no there are no byproducts of this process.
- These are more rigid, durable, and denser than most of the other hardwoods. They can last longer.
- It is water-resistant, but scratches from sharp objects are a common problem on this type of floor. It is also pest resistant.
3. European Walnut
The European Walnut hardwood is also known as the Royal walnut. This is one of the most exotic and admired hardwood types that are used for the flooring. It is considered a luxury hardwood because of its features. In the past, it was used to make beautiful wooden antique pieces.
Below are a few important features of the European Walnut:
- The European walnut hardwood for floors comes in several different colors including, medium brown to tan.
- The European Walnut hardwood has patterns of black spider web-like streaks. With different thicknesses in different areas.
- The European Walnut hardwood is the perfect choice for floors as it resists decay and is pest resistant.
- The European Walnut hardwood can resist water strains and foot scratches as well. You can use them in any part of your house.
The Tigerwood is one of the most distinctive dark hardwoods that are used for flooring. It has its unique color and striped look. The color of the Tigerwood darkens with time passing. They become darker and darker.
Below are a few important features of the Tigerwood:
- The Tigerwood can resist heat in summer and cold in the winter. It can keep its form even in extreme temperature conditions.
- This exotic hardwood has a bright and vibrant reddish-brown color. Black colored strips vary in width in different parts of the plank and form a pattern of the moving lines.
- This is very durable hardwood and good for hardwood flooring. The Tigerwood is dense and has the strength to last for a long time.
- The polished Tigerwood can resist even water and foot scratches as well. As they are darker, they require less cleaning and always look nicer and cleaner. It is also bug resistant.
5. Brazilian Cherry
Jatoba or Brazilian Cherry is also used in dark hardwood flooring. This wood is different from American cherry hardwood. It has its special color and different rigidity. This is one of the most exotic wood types that you can use on your floors.
Below are a few main features of the Brazilian cherry hardwood:
- The Brazilian cherry hardwood has a pinkish-red to brown color. They absorb light over time, and this results in a change of their color to a softer reddish-brown color.
- It is a high-density wood, which is why it is hard to work with, but this is also the reason that it is more durable and stronger than normal cherry wood.
- This can resist both hot and cold temperatures during different seasons. It can also resist scratches.
- The planks are also water-resistant, and they do not tend to absorb any moisture. The texture of the Brazilian cherry is smooth and fine. It is also bug resistant.
This is one of the most exotic and beautiful wood types or wood species that you can select for your floor. It is known for its beautiful brown to red color and stripes that form a pattern along the planks.
Below are a few features of Mahogany:
- Mahogany wood is luxurious, durable, and has a dark color. It is also harder than many other wood species. It is one of the long-lasting wood types that you can choose for your floor.
- Other features of Mahogany wood type also include its ability to resist water and scratches. They also can resist different climate conditions such as extreme cold during winters and heat during the summers.
- The dark color of the mahogany wood makes it appear nice and clean as compared to the light hardwood floors. This wood absorbs the light and becomes even darker with time.
- Mahogany can cost more than many other hardwood floors.
7. Brazilian Oak
The Brazilian Oak comes from the rainforests of brazil. It is known for its strength and ability to last longer than other oak species. The Brazilian oak hardwood is imported to the United States and Canada. It is also known as the Tauri in some parts of the United States and Brazil.
Below are a few important features of the Brazilian Oak dark hardwood flooring:
- The color of the Brazilian oak hardwood ranges from chocolate brown to creamy brown. The color of this hardwood deepens as time passes.
- It is a strong and dense hardwood and can be a perfect choice when it comes to an affordable and long-term solution of flooring.
- This hardwood species can resist temperature changes, fire, and water. It can also resist scratches and molds and can last longer.
8. American Cherry
American Cherry is known as the premium class cherry wood for the flooring. It has a dark and warm color tone that makes it look different from other cherry woods. This wood comes from the American cherry wood tree.
Below are a few prominent features of American cherry wood:
- American cherry has a reddish-brown to dark brown color. This color becomes darker and darker with time and gives it a beautiful and exotic look.
- This type of hardwood is a durable and long-term as the American cherry can last longer and can resist decay.
- It is easy to work with and install. It has a medium-density and can easily be cut or shaped into any size required for flooring planks.
- It can resist temperature changes and can also resist water stains and scratches. It is also bug resistant. The texture of the wood is smooth, fine, and granular.
9. Santos Mahogany
Santos Mahogany wood comes from a tree known as the Myroxylon balsamum. It is also known as Balsamo wood. This wood type is known as the Santos Mahogany because of its dark color and hardness.
Below are a few features of Santos Mahogany wood type.
- The Santos mahogany wood looks like the real mahogany wood, but it is more rigid and feels slightly different under the foot. It comes from a different tree and not from actual Mahogany trees.
- Santos Mahogany wood is harder than the normal mahogany wood. That makes it more suitable for flooring. It is also more durable than normal mahogany wood and can last even longer.
- The color of the Santos Mahogany wood is dark brown to reddish. This wood also has grain formations in it that are spread all across the planks.
- One key feature of this wood is that it is heavier and denser. It has more weight as compared to other wood types. This wood has a specific strong scent that takes a few days to dissipate.
10. Brazilian Teak
The Brazilian Teak is also known as the Tonka bean. It comes from a Brazilian plant. It has a similar appearance to the normal teak wood. This is a strong wood type and can be used in different places as a dark hardwood floor.
Below are a few features of the Brazilian Teak:
- The color of the Brazilian Teak is red-brown hue. It resembles the color and patterns of the teak wood.
- The Brazilian teak wood is hard, rigid, and strong. It can last longer than and can be used in places such as living rooms and galleries.
- The Brazilian Teak wood can resist heat and temperature changes during the different seasons. It is also bug resistant.
The Rosewood is a unique hardwood species that is used for flooring. There is a huge demand for rosewood hardwood floors these days, it is becoming more like a trend in different parts of the world.
Below are a few important features of the Rosewood:
- The color of the Rosewood hardwood is dark reddish-brown. The shade even becomes darker with time.
- The Rosewood is hard, rigid, and durable. It can be used in different areas including living rooms, galleries, rooms, and other parts of the house as well.
- The Rosewood is a fire-resistant hardwood and can withstand high temperatures. It can also withstand low temperatures during the cold.
- It is also water and scratch-resistant and prevents scratches on the floor. It can resist any types of pests that can attack your hardwood floor.
The Lyptus dark hardwood flooring wood comes from the Eucalyptus tree. This is an attractive yet cost-efficient and affordable dark hardwood flooring that you can choose for your house. The Lyptus dark hardwood flooring also requires low maintenance and low care and it can last for a longer time that is why many customers choose this over other options.
Below are a few important features of the Lyptus dark hardwood flooring:
- There are different colors available when it comes to Lyptus for dark hardwood flooring. Example colors include brown, dark brown, reddish-brown.
- It is a low-cost option but offers similar features to high-cost dark hardwood floors.
- Lyptus dark hardwood can last longer as it is rigid and dense. It is strong enough to sustain heavy loads.
- It is moisture-resistant hardwood and is not affected by the water or moisture in the environment. It is also easy to bend and install in any place. It requires low maintenance.
Hickory hardwood is a unique idea if you are looking forward to impressing the visitors to your house. It is a unique hardwood that is not very common in the United States. This is the second hardest hardwood in the world.
Below are a few important features of the Hickory dark hardwood flooring:
- It is the second hardest dark hardwood species. It is commonly used in furniture and flooring.
- This is a fine quality hardwood but is also expensive. It comes in different colors including tan, dark brown, to whitish brown.
- It is also fire resistant and can be placed in both cold and warm environments. It is also scratch-resistant.
- It can resist pests and requires low maintenance. It is also an eco-friendly flooring option as well.
14. Brazilian Walnut
The exotic Brazilian Walnut hardwood flooring can give your house an extra beautiful look. This wood comes from a Brazilian plant. The color, durability, and long-lasting ability of the Brazilian Walnut make it one of the most sought-after hardwood species.
Below are a few important features of the Brazilian Walnut:
- The color of the Brazilian Walnut hardwood comes in different darker shades of brown and red including reddish-brown, olive-yellow, and dark brown.
- It absorbs light over time and becomes even darker. It also has unique patterns of lines that flow through the planks.
- The Brazilian Walnut hardwood is rigid and durable. It can be used in any portion of your house, including living rooms.
- The Brazilian Walnut is fire-resistant and can tolerate hot temperatures as well. It can also tolerate extremely cold temperatures as well.
- The hardwood of the Brazilian Walnut used for flooring is scratch resistant and also can resist water. It is also bug resistant.
The Ashwood is a unique, durable, and long-lasting option when it comes to hardwood floors. It comes from Ashwood trees, also known as the Fraxinus. It is harder than red oak and American walnut. Apart from these, the color, look, and feel of the Ashwood hardwood flooring is also a luxury and unique experience.
Below are a few important features of the Ashwood dark hardwood flooring:
- It comes in multiple colors, including creamy brown to deep brown, maple white to deep black. You can select from the range of the available colors as well.
- It has a combination of swirling and straight grains throughout the planks. The color of Ashwood slightly changes over time making it appear even deep brown.
- The Ashwood floors are quieter and do not produce that much noise. They are durable and strong.
- It is water-resistant, pest resistant, and is very easy to work with. Installing it is easier as compared to the walnut, hickory, or other hardwood types.
Birch is also one of the strongest hardwood species that are used in flooring. It is harder than oak and many other plants. Its wood is used for many other purposes as well. The color, uniqueness, smooth touch, and strength of the Birch hardwood make it a suitable choice for indoor hardwood floorings.
Below are a few important features of the Birch dark hardwood flooring:
- The color of the birch wood can range from mild brown to deep brown. As the wood ages, it gets a darker tone over time.
- This is a strong and dense hardwood and can be used in any type of floorings in your house.
- It is a strong and durable option for flooring. It can last longer. It also has fire and water-resistance as well.
- It is also one of the affordable options to choose from when it comes to choosing hardwood for dark hardwood flooring species.
Kempas hardwood is especially used for dark hardwood flooring because they give a very vibrant and beautiful reddish shade of dark brown color. Be it a living room, a bedroom, or any place you can think of. It looks amazing in all the parts of your house.
Below are a few important features of the Kempas dark hardwood flooring:
- The Kempas hardwood has a dark brown color that looks like maroon red. The color and texture of the Kempas hardwood make it look different and beautiful.
- It is extremely strong hardwood and has a higher density. It can sustain heavy loads and pressure on the surface as well.
- It is durable, fire, and water-resistant. It can also resist molds and pests. These abilities make it last longer than most of the other hardwood species.
- It is a high-grade hardwood and is expensive, but apart from this, it is an efficient and beautiful choice for dark hardwood flooring.
The Maple dark hardwood for flooring comes from the maple tree. It can be used for flooring and another purpose as well. It is easy to work with and has a more unique color tone. It is a better choice over oak if you are looking for a durable, strong, and more colorful material.
Below are a few important features of the Maple dark hardwood flooring:
- The color of the Maple hardwood can be between creamy brown to dark brown. It further deepens with age.
- It is a mid-range hardwood that is not as expensive as oak and hickory. Also, it is stronger than oak and can last longer than red oak wood species.
- It is also water-resistant and fire-resistant. It can also resist pests and molds of different kinds.
- It is easy to maintain and also to work with. It is also easy to clean a maple dark hardwood floor.
The Merbau hardwood comes from the Intsia bijuga trees. It grows in Asian countries and is imported to North America. The orange-brown tone of the Merbau hardwood is in high demand in the United States and Canada. There are a lot of uses of the Merbau hardwood, flooring is also one of these uses.
Below are a few important features of the Merbau dark hardwood flooring:
- The color of the Merbau dark hardwood is orange, brown. This color tone deepens with the time passing. The dark tone of the Merbau floors makes them appear even more beautiful.
- The Merbau hardwood is durable and can last longer. It is suitable for the flooring of any part of your place.
- It is also fire-resistant and water-resistant hardwood. It can also resist the scratches of pointy objects to some extent.
- Maintenance and workability of the Merbau hardwood are easy as compared to the other hardwood species such as hickory.
Acacia is one of the hardest woods. It is used for multiple purposes. Their strength and rigidity make them a suitable choice for long term selection. Due to its strength and ability to survive longer, it is also used in dark hardwood floorings as well. The Acacia hardwood comes from the Acacia plant species.
Below are a few important features of the Acacia dark hardwood flooring:
- It is a low-cost flooring solution that lasts longer and provides a unique look and smooth touch.
- It is a solid wood species and can bear heavy weights. it can also last longer than many other hardwood flooring options.
- Apart from strength and affordability, it is easy to maintain and it can resist molds and pests.
- The Acacia hardwood is also water-resistant and fire-resistant. It is also not impacted by the temperature changes in the environment.
How does Dark Hardwood feel under the foot?
When you are walking barefoot on the dark hardwood floor, it feels smooth, warm, and fine. The texture of the hardwood is different from tiles or processed wood. It is more real and more comfortable. There can be some scratches on the floor if you are walking barefoot, but these can easily be cleaned. Temperature does not impact the hardwood as much as it does on the tiles or other floor types, so you will feel less heat during summer and less cold during the winter.
How to Clean Dark Hardwood Floors?
It is very important to keep the dark hardwood floors clean. Their look is enhanced when they are properly cleaned. If the dark hardwood floors are not properly clean, they will lose their look and may even get damaged sooner. Cleaning of the dark hardwood floors should be done twice a week at least.
- The dusting of the floor is important, you should remove all the objects or trash from the floor and do a proper dusting. This will remove the dust and allow the floor to shine with its proper look.
- You can use a premium quality hardwood floor cleaner for this purpose. Put it on the floor and then mop if there are any spots on the floor. Mopping the dark hardwood floors is a great way to remove the foot stains after dusting.
- Apart from the above two, you can also vacuum cleaner as well. Hovering and vacuum cleaners can keep the floor better clean.
- If you ever spill anything liquid or solid or powder on the dark hardwood floors, you should properly clean them as soon as possible. You use a vacuum for powders and a mop for liquid.
How to take care of Dark Hardwood Floors?
- Take off your shoes: you should not walk on your dark hardwood floors with your shoes. The sole of the shoes can damage the floor and can also put scratches on the floor. Apart from the scratches, shoes also have dirt on them, this dirt will be spilled on the floor and you will have to clean it again.
- Do not scratch: It is important to not damage the surface of the hardwood. Avoid the use of any tools that can put scratches because these can be permanent. Pointy and edges things should not be used on the floor either.
- Wear socks: It is advised to wear socks when walking on the dark hardwood floors. This is important because it will protect the floor from footprints scratches. This can help you keep your floors clean
- Keep it clean: Keeping the dark hardwood floors clean is important. It protects the floors look and feel. If you spill anything on it, you should clean it right away. Proper dusting and the use of a good quality cleaner will keep your floors shiny and beautiful.
- An extra coat of Polyurethane: You must get an extra coat of polyurethane on your hardwood floor. It is what protects your floor from scratches. Having an extra coat of polyurethane will protect your floor and will also make it look glossier and shinier.
- Use the Vacuum cleaner with care: If you are using a vacuum cleaner on your dark hardwood floor, you should use it with care. The tires of the vacuum cleaners can sometimes put scratches on the surface of the hardwood floors. That is why you should use them with care on hardwood floors.
- Periodic recoating of the floor: Periodic recoating of your dark hardwood floors will allow them to last longer and will also prevent scratches once the previous layer has been damaged.
Where should you to use the Dark Hardwood Floors?
Dark hardwood is strong and practical. It can be used anywhere in your home. You can use a dark hardwood floor of your choice in your bedrooms, in your living rooms, and your study or library. The strong wood that is used in dark hardwood flooring can sustain pressure and lasts longer. It also feels good under the floor, so you can use it on any part of your house floor.
What are the pros and cons of Dark Hardwood?
There are a lot of pros and cons of dark hardwood floors, below are a few of them.
- Dark hardwood floors have their original color, they shine more with time while the shine of light hardwood floors fades away with time.
- They add color to your place and make it look cool and nice. They also reflect your mode and taste.
- The dark hardwood floors last longer as compared to the other alternatives.
- They are affordable and can be installed anywhere with ease.
- Dark hardwood floors need more cleaning and are hard to clean as compared to light hardwood floors, but they shine more as well.