Hickory hardwood is known for its strength, durability, long-life, and beautiful appearance. The density and hardness of the hickory hardwood species make it one of the most suitable candidates for hardwood flooring that lasts longer and is strong enough to sustain the pressure and weight. The hardwood that comes from the hickory is considered the second hardest and strongest hardwood species in the United States.
The hickory hardwood comes from two groups of trees, the first one is known as the true hickory hardwood and the second is known as the Pecan hickory hardwood. All of these hickory species provide hardwood that is extremely dense and strong and can be used in any part of the floor. Hickory hardwood flooring is also considered a luxurious and modern choice for your house and it also adds more value to your property if you are looking forward to selling your property.
Groups of hickory hardwood treEs
Below are the two groups of Hickory hardwood trees.
1. True Hickory Hardwood
The true hickory hardwood comes from 4 different trees of hickory as follows:
2. Pecan Hickory Hardwood
The Pecan Hickory hardwood also comes from 4 different trees of the hickory family and they are as follows:
- Nutmeg Hickory
The lumber of each of these trees is known as the hickory hardwood and is equally strong, dense, and is used for the same purpose. The color and grain of these hardwood types of hickory are slightly different from one another but you can only know if you have the basic knowledge about each of these. These 8 different tree lumber types for the hickory hardwood flooring provides 8 different shades, colors, and granular shape. That means if you choose the hickory hardwood flooring for your house, you will be able to choose from a variety of different available options.
What is special about Hickory Hardwood flooring?
There are a lot of things about hickory hardwood flooring that makes it unique and special. The most special thing about hickory hardwood flooring is that it gives you a large variety of options to choose from including the color of the hardwood, shades, and grain of the hardwood and plank sizes as well. This variety is uncommon among other hardwood species and is rarely seen. That is what makes the hickory hardwood flooring a unique choice.
Apart from this, there are a lot of other pros of the hickory hardwood flooring that are given in detail below. But before going to that topic, let us discuss three different types of hardwood floors that are commonly used.
Types of Hickory Hardwood floorings
Here are three types of hickory hardwood floorings that are commonly used.
- Solid Hickory Hardwood flooring: Solid hickory hardwood flooring is one of the most luxurious choices. The solid hardwood of hickory adds more value to your property than both of the other hardwood types. The solid hickory hardwood is not only beautiful, strong but also provides multiple options to choose from color, shade, and grain structure. The cost of hickory hardwood flooring is slightly more as compared to the other hardwood types.
- Engineered Hickory Hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring of hickory hardwood is considered more strong and more resistant to scratches over the surface. It also provides you more variety in color and grain. Engineered hickory hardwood planks can be cut into the required sizes meaning that you will be better able to decide the length and width of your hardwood flooring planks.
- Laminate Hickory Hardwood flooring: Laminate hickory hardwood floorings are an excellent choice if you want to add a unique look and feel to your house. Laminate hickory hardwood floorings are mostly the cheapest hickory hardwood flooring option. The affordability of the laminate hardwood floorings makes it one of the most suitable choices.
Pros and Cons of Hickory hardwood flooring
Below are some of the pros and cons of hickory hardwood floorings.
Pros of Hickory Hardwood Flooring
- Appearance is unique and beautiful: The appearance of the hickory hardwood flooring is beautiful, unique, and modern. The color of the hickory hardwood flooring provides it a luxurious and rich look. This look of the hickory hardwood is not only because of the unique colors and shades but also due to the varying patterns of hickory hardwood grain. The beautiful appearance of the hickory hardwood adds value to your property. More homeowners now want to have hickory hardwood flooring because of the uniqueness and beautiful look.
If you are looking forward to having a floor that not only lasts longer but also provides a beautiful look, you should also choose the hickory hardwood flooring for your home. This beautiful look of the hickory hardwood flooring will not fade away over time like some other hardwood species. This means you will be able to enjoy the uniqueness and beauty of your hardwood floor for a long time. People who are looking forward to buying a new home prefer a house if it has hickory hardwood flooring, so there is a chance that you will get more customers and you will be able to get more value from your investment.
- Variety of color and grain: Not all hardwood species provide you that many options and a variety of colors and grain to choose from. Most of the hardwood species only provide two or three shades and colors but the hickory hardwood flooring comes in almost 8 different color shades and grain structures. This is because hickory hardwood comes from 8 different hickory trees that we discussed above. This variety of hardwood types, colors, and grain makes it a suitable choice for almost every homeowner.
Hickory hardwood floors also come in both lighter and darker colors and shades. So, if you want a slightly darker look and warm feel, the hickory hardwood flooring can provide you that, but if you want a lighter and cooler hardwood floor, hickory hardwood flooring can also provide you that as well. So, if you want hardwood flooring that is according to your demands, you should choose the hickory hardwood flooring, it costs a little more as compared to some other hardwood species but it also provides more options to you to choose from and also provides a more unique and beautiful look.
- Hardwood is strong: The hickory hardwood is the second hardest hardwood in North America. The hickory hardwood has 1820 ratings based on the Janka hardness scale, which makes it the second most strong, and second hardest hardwood species that is native to North America. This hardness and strength help the hardwood floor last longer and avoid scratches. Not only this, but it also has more resistance to fire and aging as well. Meaning that if you choose hickory hardwood flooring, your floor will last much longer as compared to other hardwood species.
The hickory hardwood floors can last up to 100 years if they are properly taken care of and protected from damages. So, if you want your hardwood floors to be stronger, last longer without that much maintenance, then hickory hardwood flooring is one of the best choices that you have. They are also more resistant to scratches and dents because of their higher strength meaning that you will not have to worry about your hardwood floors being scratched or getting dents due to pressure over time.
- Reliable, durable, and has longer life: Hickory hardwood flooring is also reliable and durable for the long term. The hickory hardwood floors have a history of being reliable for 100s of years. There are a lot of places where you can see almost 100 years old hickory hardwood floors that are still in use. This longer life of the hickory hardwood floor means that once you have installed your hardwood floor, you will not have to worry about it for a longer time. It is a perfect choice for you if you want to renovate your house and want your renovations to last much longer.
Hickory hardwood floors are extremely durable, meaning that they can be used in any part of your house and they can sustain high pressures, more weights, and more traffic as well. Apart from this, the hickory hardwood floors are also better able to manage wear and tear. This longer life span, reliability for the longer-term, and durability make hickory hardwood a suitable choice for your floors. If you want a floor in your house that is not only strong, beautiful and is also much more reliable, durable, and can last much longer as compared to other hardwood species, you should have hickory hardwood flooring installed in your house. This can be a permanent and one-time solution to your all-flooring problems.
- It is more scratch-resistant: Hickory hardwood is stronger, denser, and is much harder as compared to other hardwood species. This hardness of the hickory hardwood makes it a more scratch-resistant hardwood. The hard and dense hardwood floors of the hickory hardwood are less prone to scratches. This means you will not have to worry about your hardwood floors getting scratched over time. Fewer scratches also mean that you will have to spend less money on the repairs and maintenance of wear and tear.
So, if you want a hardwood floor in your house that is more scratch resistant, you should consider hickory hardwood floors. Homeowners with pets or young kids should get hickory hardwood floors if considering a renovation of your floor and want to change your current hardwood floor that easily gets scratched due to your pets walking over it or with your kid’s toys. The stronger, denser, and harder wood of the hickory will prevent these scratches and, in this way, will help you save a lot of money that you otherwise would have spent on the repairs and maintenance of scratched floors.
- Hardwood is more fire-resistant: No hardwood is fire-proof or completely fire-resistant but some hardwood species take more time to catch fire. Hickory hardwood is also among those species that take a much longer time to catch fire. This not only slows the spread of fire but also protects you and your house from completely getting burned in a matter of minutes. The fire-resistant ability of the hickory hardwood floorings comes from the higher density of the hardwood and its hardness.
If your hardwood floor takes more time to catch fire and burns less at the same time as compared to other hardwood species it means it has more resistance to the fire, and hickory hardwood planks are some of the most slow-burning hardwood planks. This provides you extra protection for your property. So, if you want to have a hardwood floor that is more protected and more fire-resistant as compared to other hardwood species, you should choose hickory hardwood flooring.
- It requires low maintenance: As you already know about the strength density and hardness of the hickory hardwood flooring, you would also know that it requires less maintenance. The strength of the hickory hardwood floor prevents it from getting dents over the surface, so you will not have to worry about the maintenance dents over the surface of your hardwood floor. Apart from this, the hickory hardwood is less prone to getting scratched over time, this means you will not have to spend money on getting the scratches fixed and this will also mean low maintenance.
This low requirement of maintenance makes hickory hardwood floors a more suitable choice for every household. The low requirement of maintenance will not only mean that you will have to worry less about your hardwood floors getting scratched overtime or getting dents in the level of the planks. But also means that you will not have to spend too much time repairing your hardwood floor or paying more to get your hardwood floor repaired. So, your floor will not only require less maintenance but will also cost much less to maintain.
- Easy to clean – requires less cleaning: The hickory hardwood floors are very easy to clean. They give the floor a slightly lighter shade that enables these floors to hide the dust particles. This ability of the hickory hardwood floors helps them hide the dust so you will not have to clean them, again and again, to keep them clean. Apart from requiring less cleaning, the hickory hardwood floors are also easy to clean, this is because you can clean them using machines such as vacuum cleaners.
Most other floors get scratched if they are vacuum cleaned but not hickory hardwood floors as they are better able to resist scratches. So, if you want a hardwood floor in your house that requires less cleaning and is also easy to clean, you should get hickory hardwood floors. It might cost you a little extra amount but that will save your time and efforts that you otherwise would have spent on keeping the floor clean and preventing scratches over its surface.
- More eco-friendly: Hickory hardwood floors are more eco-friendly hardwood floors. Especially the solid hickory hardwood floors, because they are made without the use of any volatile organic compounds. They also require less shining and less coating of polyurethane. This means they require less environmentally dangerous material to get finished and be ready for installation.
So, if you are a person who cares about the environment and wants to protect it, you should choose a hickory hardwood floor for your house. This will help better protect the environment because the finishing of these floors requires lesser use of chemicals that harm the environment. Also, you can make your solid wood hickory hardwood floor more environment friendly by coating it with a water-based polyurethane instead of oil-based polyurethane.
- Adds value to your property: If you are renovating your property to sell it, or you have plans to sell your property in the future and get some profits over your investment. You should invest in hickory hardwood floors. The hickory hardwood floors add more value to your property as compared to other hardwood types.
The people who are looking forward to buying a new house are greatly impressed by the look and feel of your hardwood floor. This not only encourages them to buy your property but also increases the value of your property. So, if you want to add value to your property you should invest in hickory hardwood floors.
- Resistance to shocks and dents: The hickory hardwood is dense, strong, and hard, this helps the hickory hardwood floors be more resistant to shocks and dents. The hardness of the hickory hardwood prevents your floors from getting dents on the planks. While the strength and density of the hardwood protect your hardwood from shocks and helps it maintain its shape and place.
So, you can install the hickory hardwood floors in any area of your house, for example, you can install them in places where your hardwood floor gets a lot of traffic, pressure, and shocks. You can also install them in places where the chances of floor getting dents are higher. You should consider hickory hardwood floors if you want to avoid dents over your hardwood floor.
- Lightens the surroundings: Hickory hardwood floors come in both dark and lighter shades. These different shades work with every kind of interior and setting and increase the shine and brightness of the surroundings. In simple words, the hickory hardwood floors can light up the surroundings. Not only brighter shades but also darker shades of hickory hardwood floors also add beauty and lighten up the surroundings.
- Match your Interior and furniture: As you know that the hickory hardwood floors come in different colors, shades, grains. So, they give you a choice to pick according to your interior settings and furniture colors. You will not be able to match but also choose from the variety of options to pick the best one that works very well with your interiors and your furniture.
Cons of Hickory Hardwood Flooring
- It costs more: The hickory hardwood flooring is a premium and luxury choice for your floor and it can beautify your interior but this beauty costs a lot more as compared to other hardwood floors. The strength and durability of the hickory hardwood make it the best choice for your floor but this strength also makes this hardwood an extremely hard species to work with. This difficulty in working increases the cost of the production of hardwood.
This extra cost on production and processing of hardwood means that you will have to pay more for the hickory hardwood floors as compared to other hardwood floors.
Not only this, maintenance costs and costs to install the hickory hardwood floors are also much higher as compared to other hardwood floors. Working with the hard and dense hardwood makes it difficult to finish the floors properly and that is why finishing and installation costs are also higher. But there is also a solution for you to lower the cost by choosing laminate hickory hardwood flooring. Laminate hickory hardwood floors cost much less as compared to solid hickory and engineered hickory hardwood floors.
- Changes color over time: The lighter shades of hickory hardwood floors change their color over time. Like all other hardwood species, the hickory hardwood also absorbs light. This absorption of light causes a color change in the hickory hardwood floors. This is a natural process that happens to many of the hardwood floors.
Darker floors look even better due to the color change that is because it deepens the dark shade of the hickory hardwood floors. But lighter hickory hardwood floors do not look good when they change their color due to the absorption of light. This is one of the biggest downsides of the lighter hickory hardwood floors.
- Less-resistance to pests: Pests are a problem for hickory hardwood floors. The wood of the hickory floors is less resistant to pests. This less-resistance means that there is a higher chance of your floor getting attacked and damaged by these pests. These floor eating pests enter the hardwood and eat it from the inside, this is how they make your hardwood floors week and hollow from inside. This leads to the destruction of your hardwood floors.
So, if you have a hickory hardwood floor in your house, you will always have to worry about these pests and will have to keep checking the different parts of your floor if they are under attack or not. If any part of your hardwood floor is under pests’ attacks, you will have to repair or sometimes entirely replace that part. This can be very expensive and that is also a downside of the hickory hardwood floors.
- Can decay over time: As you already know that the hickory hardwood floors are less-resistant to pests. They are also less resistant to decay because of this problem. When pests attack your hardwood floor, your floor starts to age and quickly decay. This leads to complete or partial destruction of your hardwood floor planks. The hollow planks that have been eaten by the pests can no longer sustain the pressure and weight and they start to break.
This initiates a cycle of decay in your hardwood floor. When this happens, you should quickly remove all the damaged hardwood floor planks and replace them with new hardwood floor planks. Also, you will have to use more pest control chemicals over your hickory hardwood floors. This increases the cost of maintaining and repairing. That is why you should consider your choice once again if your house is in a place where pest attacks on hardwood are common and severe. If you live in such a place and have a hickory hardwood floor, then you should spend some extra money on pest control chemicals to prevent them from attacking your hardwood floors.
- Difficult to work with: The strength, density, and hardness of the hickory hardwood make it a great choice for floors but these properties also make it one of the most difficult hardwood types to work with. Due to extra hardness and strength, it is extremely hard to cut, shape, and finish the planks of hickory hardwood floors. That is why processing cutting and shaping of the hickory hardwood floors takes more time and effort.
Apart from this, if you want to finish your hardwood floor onsite, it will be extremely difficult for you to work on hickory hardwood. You will have to work extra hardwood to finish it properly. Installing the hickory hardwood floors is also a very difficult job and can take more time and effort as compared to other hardwood types.
- Appearance is rustic: This is not a real disadvantage to some people but if you are not a fan of a rustic look, it can be a problem. Most of the hickory hardwood shades both lighter and darker have a rustic appearance. There are a lot of people who like it and want their floors to look rustic, but some people do not like a rustic look on their floors. So, if you are not a fan of a rustic look, you should reconsider your choice of installing hickory hardwood floors in your home.
Cost of Hickory Hardwood flooring
The cost of hickory hardwood floors depends upon the choice of wood type that you want for your house. For example, if you want to have a solid hickory hardwood floor or an engineered hickory hardwood floor. The cost comparison of the hickory hardwood types is given below.
- The solid hickory hardwood floors cost more as compared to the other types of hickory hardwood floors but they are stronger and provide more beauty and natural look as compared to the other two hickory hardwood types.
- The engineered hickory hardwood floors cost more than laminate hickory hardwood floors but less than solid hickory hardwood floors. The engineered hickory hardwood floors are stronger and last even longer but they do not provide the natural look and that is why most homeowners do not prefer them.
- Laminate hickory hardwood floors are the cheapest ones, they cost much less as compared to the other two types of hickory hardwood floors. The cost of installing, finishing the laminate hickory hardwood floors is also less.
The maximum cost of 1 square foot of hickory hardwood flooring can cost you between $5 to $15, depending upon where you live and what you choose for your hardwood floors. The cost of solid hickory hardwood floors is mostly closer to $15 while the engineered hardwood floors closer to $10 and laminate hardwood floors cost between $5 to $7 or $8 per square feet.
Hickory vs Oak Hardwood flooring
Hickory hardwood is much stronger in comparison to oak hardwood flooring. It is also much more trendy, valuable, and beautiful than oak hardwood flooring. The hardwood of hickory is the second hardest wood and has 1820 Janka scale ratings, while the oak has 1360 Janka scale ratings. The hickory hardwood also provides you a much wider variety of color, shades, and grain while the oak has a limited range of color, shade, and grain. Based on this comparison, we can easily say that the oak hardwood flooring has some limitations as compared to the hickory hardwood flooring.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: What is the color of natural hickory hardwood?
The natural color of the hickory hardwood ranges from light to medium brown with a slight reddish hue. But with the help of finishing and staining, you can achieve both light and darker shades.
- Question: What are the problems with hickory hardwood flooring?
Hickory hardwood is so strong that it is very hard to cut shape and finish, apart from this it is also less resistant to pests and can decay if attacked by floor eating pests. Also, the cost of hickory hardwood flooring is much more as compared to other hardwood species.
- Question: What is better – Unfinished vs Prefinished hickory hardwood flooring?
Prefinished hickory hardwood flooring planks are a better choice because if you choose unfinished hickory hardwood floors and want to finish them on-site, you should keep in mind that hickory is the second hardest hardwood and that means it is very difficult to self-finish it on-site.